pkgng suggestion: renaming /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin/pkg-bootstrap

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Fri Aug 31 22:21:55 UTC 2012

Hi,

I think the details of the patch would need to be worked out a bit,
but I think you are on the right track.
I think it would be nice to:

   (1)  Have deprecation warnings in the legacy pkg_* tools.
          If someone types "pkg_add", maybe warn them that
          it is deprecated, and they should read UPDATING and
          type "pkg help add".

   (2)  If $PKG_DBDIR/local.sqlite exists (usually
/var/db/pkgs/local.sqlite), and someone types a legacy pkg_* command,
          then error out and warn them to use the new "pkg " equivalent.

When I was playing with pkgng, I ran into some confusion
when I typed the old commands after I had migrated my package database to
the new system, so I have seen how this can
be confusing for first-time users.  Any *sensible* anti-foot shooting
measures and useful diagnostics/warnings that
we can put into the tools would help a lot.

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc at crodrigues.org