Can we please just remove the old Makefile headers?

Thomas Abthorpe tabthorpe at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 30 19:56:33 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 02:02:47PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> The old Makefile headers, ala:
>
> # New ports collection makefile for:    BIND 9.9.x
> # Date created:                         27 January 2012
> # Whom:                                 dougb
> #
> # $FreeBSD: head/dns/bind99/Makefile 301487 2012-07-24 19:23:23Z dougb $
>
> have not served a purpose for longer than almost anyone who has a ports
> commit bit has been around. My proposal is simple, let's remove
> everything before the # $FreeBSD$.

Traditions are great, particularly when they have meaning.  When they
just become "Doing it that way because we always done it" is no
substitute for maintaining a tradition for a meaningful purpose.

> In the past when this has been proposed the objection was that it would
> cause too much churn. If we had done this back when we had 5,000 ports
> then we would have solved the problem with less churn, and no drama for
> the 15,000 ports that followed. Every day we don't do this we make the
> "churn" problem worse, and deepen the roots of something that has no
> relevance.
>
> Can we please just deal with this now and be done with it? ... and yes,
> I am volunteering to help with and/or do the work myself.

We discussed this on portmgr@, and we have agreed it is time to make the
change.

We do request that this be done sparingly in the short term, as we do not
want to cause any additional churn on the repo as we approach our
upcoming Ports Feature Freeze, still tentatively scheduled for September
7.

So please proceed only on existing updates.  Please do not do any
sweeping commits until we have the ports tree stablised post 9.1
tagging.  Also bear in mind that Redports/QAT queues a job for every
change done to a Makefile, we do not want to overburden the QAT at this
time.  It is important to allow this service to run at peek efficiency
at this time to ensure it's full potential as we approach the upcoming
Feature Freeze.

So without further ado, this is what we would like to see at the top of
the makefile

#
# $FreeBSD$
#