Regression in PREFIX handling in packages

Wed Aug 29 19:18:17 UTC 2012

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 22:54:35 +0200 Alexander Leidinger
<Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I detected a regression in the handling of the registration of the
> PREFIX in packages. I'm not sure when it was introduced, surely more
> than a month ago.
>
> The problem:
>  - I have a symlink from /usr/local to another place X.
>  - I share packages between this system A and some jails.
>  - The jails don't have place X and /usr/local is no symlink.
>  - Packages generated on the system A are installed into place X in
>    the jails.
>
> So in short: the realpath of PREFIX is recorded in the packages, not
> the value of PREFIX as before.
>
> I had a quick look at bsd.*.mk, but didn't notice something obvious.
> So in case it is pkg_create which is doing this, I updated from
> r238438 to r239708.

Could it be that my problem comes from r231300 and I was lucky that I
didn't create a package on the machine with the symlinked /usr/local
and used it on a machine with a normal /usr/local?

% ll /usr/local
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    25B  2 Mai  2011 /usr/local@
-> ../space/system/usr_local

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/pkg_install/create/perform.c?r1=228990&r2=231300

What's the problem this patch tries to solve? Shouldn't the plist use
the prefix as specified by the env variable instead of the realpath?

Bye,
Alexander.