pkgng 1.0 release schedule, and HEAD switch to pkgng by default schedule

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 17:52:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2012, at 7:58 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Doug Barton wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think we have ever done a complete replacement of major
>>> infrastructure in one release.
>>
>> You mean like sysinstall can be used as an installer on 9 that would
>> do something meaningful with the current infrastructure we provide?
>
> You understood my oblique sysinstall reference...  The 'can't do it in one release' is a red herring.  The current package system is by no means as good as sysinstall was before it was replaced.  The new one is much better and deserves a shot of 'replace in one' if it proves to be ready.  Anything contrary to that is just obstructionism.

I don't agree. I know that I am not the only one who uses the pkgdb in
internal scripts. While getting rid of pkg_* will be a wonderful thing
and, for most of the systems I deal with the switch will happen very
soon, a couple will need major re-working to replace the use of the
pkgdb. Since these are systems that I usually run either the latest
STABLE (RELENG_9 at this time) or CURRENT, this would prevent moving
to CURRENT or 10-STABLE if I can't do so and still have the option of
sticking with the old system for a while. This is especially true for
1.0, until things like adding SVN revision and (hopefully) options to
the DB to make working with a combination of packages and ports
reasonable. I can't imagine EVER getting away from building some
things from source using ports at any time.

Yes, I understand that getting rid of pkg_ will allow things to be
done that will be difficult (impossible?) to retrofit into pkg_*, but
this is a HUGE change for most admins, much bigger than the sysinstall
change as it will mostly impact on systems currently running FreeBSD
where sysinstall did not.

Please, please be very careful about pulling the life support plug on pkg_*.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com