pkgng 1.0 release schedule, and HEAD switch to pkgng by default schedule

Chris Rees crees at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 21 11:03:51 UTC 2012

On 21 August 2012 11:37, Olivier Smedts <olivier at gid0.org> wrote:
> 2012/8/21 Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org>:
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:09:46AM +0300, Vitaly Magerya wrote:
>>> What would be the best practice of mixing ports with packages?
>>
>> There is no best practice for that unfortunatly, (as actually) the best for you
>> is maybe to build your own pkgng repostories?
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgPrimer#Using_poudriere for example?
>
> So, to make it really clear, one should *not* test, try or use pkgng
> if he wants to continue using ports without setting up a repository ?
> I did not find a big warning on the wiki.

You can of course use pkgng with ports-- nothing has changed in that
respect; putting WITH_PKGNG=yes into /etc/make.conf makes the ports
tree work just fine.

It has never been recommended to use packages and ports together.

Chris