Jenkins+FreeBSD handbooks

Marin Atanasov Nikolov dnaeon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 19:34:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Bernhard Fröhlich <decke at freebsd.org> wrote:

Hello Bernhard,

> Thanks a lot for that tutorials. They look very interesting and I was
> always curious how much work it would have been to implement something
> like redports.org on top of Jenkins. But obviously my decision was
> correct that jenkins would not fit in such a situation.

Could you clarify a bit more why you think Jenkins does not fit well there?

I don't know how redports.org is designed and how it scales, but with
Jenkins it's quite easy to create a package build farm for distributed
building.

Jenkins comes with lots of ready-to-use plugins as well, which makes
it easier to integrate a particular thing easier as well and not
re-invent the wheel.

> A more suitable place for jenkins would be automatic building our doc
> tree on every commit. But I don't know if that doesn't already exist.

Yep, that's one of the things we could use Jenkins for, but I would
say we could use it for lots of other stuff as well :)

Best regards,
Marin

--
Marin Atanasov Nikolov