FreeBSD Port: mc-4.8.1.1

freethread freethread.sw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 17:05:52 UTC 2012

hi, I'm facing an issue with last mc version. After upgrading ports (from source with portmaster) the syntax highlight in mcedit no more works, well, it works, but...

Explanation

I made some customization in mc for fileext, syntax highlight and menus, some of them are documentend, some others are partially documented and some others are undocumented. The syntax highlight customization is partially documented, however that's what I've done on my system:

The syntax highlight are composed by files with .syntax extention and a main 'Syntax' file that recognize file type (extentions + content) and redirect to the right .syntax file.
  1.. I created a new directory where I copied that files (located in /usr/local/share/mc/syntax) in that new directory.
  2.. In each home directory there is an '.mc' directory where mc place per user configuration files, so I found that copying the above files in $HOME/.mc/cedit directory you can customize the syntax highlight recognition and coloration, so what I've done (for each user) is to create symlinks to that files in 'cedit' directory, pointing at files copied in step 1. So, each user has the same customized syntax highlight.
Now, it worked for years, but when updated mc to version 4.8.1.1, it show me a syntax error in Syntax file at line 41, that contain the following customization:
40  file .\*(csh|\\.(csh|cshrc|tcsh|tcshrc|login|logout))$ tcsh/csh\sScript ^#!\s\*/(.\*/|usr/bin/env\s)(tc|c)sh41  include csh.syntaxOk, I restored the original 'Syntax' file to replace the customized one, but it seems it has no effect, it display the same error and in the editor menu 'Options -> Syntax Highlight...' it still display my customized additions (in the previous example 'tcsh/csh Script'), and it uses its own .syntax files in /usr/local/share/mc/syntax for all file types.

I don't know if mc has a cache and where it is, in /tmp there is nothing to help. This is not a FreeBSD issue instead something changed in mc syntax highlight policy, anyhow, perhaps you know or heard about some changes, I use mcedit for small shell files, small perl and python scripts on FreeBSD server but the most of the time I works on Windows desktops (and access it with remote terminals), so I can revert mc to works as default and edit them in Windows.

FYI: I made many other customizations to mc but I don't know if they interfere with this issue, all of them have more than 2 years and always worked and they are the same from at least 1 year, anyway my system was installed from 'disk 1' in september 2010, fresh FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1 installation (it was an 8.2-RELEASE but I made a fresh install to test bsdinstall and have SU+J on UFS), upgraded to 9.0-RELEASE in january or frebuary with freebsd-update (binary), all ports are uptodate.
  FreeBSD alpha.xxxxxxx.xxx 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #1: Fri Jan 20 07:29:38 CET 2012
  root at alpha.xxxxxxx.xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ALPHA  i386
Thanks in advance for your advices (if you have any)
paul