cvs commit: ports/games/8kingdoms Makefile ports/misc/airoflash Makefile ports/graphics/autopano-sift Makefile ports/x11/avant-window-navigator-xfce4 Makefile ports/lang/boo Makefile ports/x11/cl-clx-sbcl Makefile ports/palm/coldsync ...

Pietro Cerutti gahr at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 10 12:21:44 UTC 2012

On 2012-Apr-10, 06:56, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 01:45:38PM +0200, Frederic Culot wrote:
> > To conciliate such a necessary action without hurting the feelings of those
> > maintainers who despite their work could not update the state of their port in a
> > timely manner, maybe it would be good to be more verbose in the log of such
> > commits. Inspired by linimon's emails, something like the following could be
> > added:
>
> I do get some responses from maintainers to those emails, and (except
> in the cases where the email gets stuck in my mbox) I honor their requests
> for an extension.  OTOH in general I get personal replies and not replies
> to the list, so people aren't seeing that interaction in public.
>
> From my standpoint, by the time something has been broken for 6 months,
> the maintainer will have already gotten multiple emails from portsmon.
> So, I'm going to have to say I'm a little frustrated if I need to send
> another round of mail even on top of that.

That's exactly my point: maintainers are very likely to know the situation
by the time these deprecation campaigns set off, and committing to their
ports without prior approval is in contrast with our policy.

I still do not see the necessity to deprecate maintained ports, even
though a port might be maintained as broken for a long period of time.
The maintainer might be waiting for something to happen either upstream
or in our infrastructure, which could release the port from brokenness.

--
Pietro Cerutti
The FreeBSD Project

PGP Public Key: