Instafix for FreeBSD ports brokenness on 10.0?

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 30 09:10:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 09:57:14AM +0100, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 30 Sep 2011 09:41, "Ed Schouten" <ed at 80386.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > * Stanislav Sedov <stas at FreeBSD.org>, 20110929 22:43:
> > > I think this is a good idea.
> > > I recommend sending this to re@ and/or core@ for consideration.
> > > Personally, I'd love to see this committed ASAP, as I'm unable
> > > to do any ports work right now.
> >
> > I've poked portmgr at . :-)
> >

> But portmgr has already replied...

Indeed and the answer hasn't changed.  Ports on HEAD are only provided
best effort, for regression testing etc, and users of HEAD are expected
to be techincally savvy enough to work around potential problems
themselves.  Feel free to apply Ed's patch locally, but it won't make it
into CVS.

That said, this patch is the wrong place to fix a problem to autotools.
It needs to be fixed in autotools, not bsd.port.mk.  No matter if it's
bsd.ports.mk or autotools, such a fix needs proper testing, for which
we do not currently have the resources as we are concentrating on
releasing 9.0.  I would suggest you do the same and make 9.0 the best
release possible during the next few weeks, after that we'll start
looking into 10.0.

Erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                                   http://droso.org