Instafix for FreeBSD ports brokenness on 10.0?

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Thu Sep 29 21:41:08 UTC 2011

The ports tree can be very fickle and touching a large class of ports
requires multiple exp-runs. Attempting these types of changes
just prior to release adds a degree of risk which no one wants to accept.

> The question is why we're not going to fiddle with auto* given other
> stuff which is being committed to the ports tree right now, which is
> unrelated to release as well?

Because these commits don't possibly break a large portion of ports.

> The fix can be added unconditionaly,
> thus having a very low (I'd say negligible) risk of breaking anything.

Affecting *every single port* is not a negligible risk.

> In the meantime, if we don't fix this we're making it impossible for
> any HEAD users to do any kind of productive work in ports.

We will fix it, once 9-RELEASE is out the door.

In the meantime please see UPDATING 20110928.

--
Eitan Adler