Status of cups-base and avahi-app?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 21 08:45:06 UTC 2011

What is the current status of print/cups-base?  I get a BROKEN message when trying to build that port with DNSSD which is in net/avahi-libdns.

This is for FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2.  I didn't get this message in BETA1, but building print/cups-base failed because of something missing.

My purpose for building cups-base is as a dependency of print/hplip, needed so I can print with the HP LaserJet n1212mf, using either the USB or ethernet connection.

Is there any substitute for cups, or what is the function of avahi for this application (print/hplip)?

Do I lose anything by turning off this option (DNSSD)?

Tom