Re-starting daemons across upgrades? (was: Thank you (for making the ports less boring).)

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Sep 16 19:42:09 UTC 2011

Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Łukasz.
> You wrote 16 сентября 2011 г., 22:17:58:
>
>> were not recompiled). Updating ports should never turn off or restart
>> service - thats my $0.02.
>   I agree with that. It is not difficult to REstart service by hands.
>
>    But stopping service is another story. Many ports/packages stop
>   service on dinstall/pkg_delete, and as result, if port with service
>   are upgraded in the middle of large upgrade session (and it is not
>   always possible to upgrade services SEPARATELY, due to dependences),
>   here is large window when old service is stopped, but new cannot be
>   started yet.

 From my point of view, it is better to not stop the service by
deinstall phase, if it is not started by install.
If I do portmaster -a, deinstall of MySQL stops the mysql daemon and all
dependent services are unavailable for a very long time - until all
other packages are upgraded and administrator starts MySQL by hand. It
can be hours.

But I like the idea based on portupgrade AFTERINSTALL / (AFTERUPGRADE) -
some kind of custom hooks, where user can define actions for specific
packages / services. It can be restart in some cases, or write something
to log, or send an e-mail, or print some user defined warning text about
dependencies needed to be upgraded / restarted... and so on.

Miroslav Lachman