Remove dependency on xz - How?

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 08:11:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 02:45 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> archivers/xz is mark IGNORE because xz is now in the base system (8.2)
>
> Numerous other ports won't build because they believe they depend on xz (or
> on a port that depends on xz)
>
> I'd like to remove the dependencies on xz from the pkgs database.
>
> pkgdb -s /xz-5.0.0// won't work as the slash notation might suggest it would
> because -s does not accept a  'empty argument'
>
> I am afraid to remove the xz package because it seems to me it would delete
> the base system xz -- and I don't want to make world if I can avoid it.

Try:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/xz
$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/xz

$ pkg_which /usr/local/bin/xz

In short: It won't. Ports generally do not install into base hier(7).

Also, even if case such situation happened, you'd be much quicker with:

# cd /usr/src/usr.bin/xz
# make clean
# make
# make install
[ # make clean ]

> Is there some sensible way to do this?

Force deinstall xz package, run pkgdb -Fuf, confirm deleting the
unneeded dependency (if asked), and you're done.

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)