Thank you (for making the ports less boring).

Chad Perrin code at apotheon.net
Thu Sep 15 18:27:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 07:00:47PM +0200, Łukasz Wąsikowski wrote:
> W dniu 2011-09-14 18:15, Christopher J. Ruwe pisze:
> >
> > Came as Gentoo user, abandoned Gentoo because of to many quirks with
> > updating packages (ebuilds). From my perspective, the situation is
> > better here (FreeBSD).
>
> Really? I've been using FreeBSD for over 10 years now, Gentoo for half
> of that time and I can surely say that Gentoo's portage is much better
> than FreeBSD's ports.

There are some nice things that portage does, and my experience with
Gentoo is a few years out of date by now, but I remember one difference
that made software management on FreeBSD much better than on Gentoo:

If there was something broken with a FreeBSD port (a relative rarity), it
would fail to install, leaving me with the older version.  If there was
something wrong with a Gentoo port, I'd end up with a broken install.

I suppose your mileage may vary.