testing PKGNG

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi lenzi.sergio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:34:59 UTC 2011

Em Qua, 2011-09-14 às 10:43 +0200, Baptiste Daroussin escreveu:

> no pkgng do ont share something penguinist at all :)
>
> pkgng is just the result of long studies and reflexion about packaging
> (studying
> what is done elsewhere: apt/dpkg, yum/rpm, pacman, aix, solaris,
> netbsd, openbsd
> and how to have something that try to take the good ideas from there,
> try not to
> take the *over engineered* complicated part. And most important try to
> do it the
> FreeBSD way: which means it should work with the ports tree as-is (and
> help
> improve it in the future), so we are safe no real penguinism in
> pkgng :)

I think pkgng will on on his way to the freebsd release (perhaps the 9.x
will include it in the base system)
but I need a solution now. Even if portmaster, is an excelent software,
it could not help
me (40 servers, and counting...) each server with about 880 packages
that must be in sync

The solution pkgng gives me, is what I was looking for, even the
software is "alpha"...
and sure have some problems, the version I tested (the one is in the
servers) is working
for me. I even tried to port "pacman, from arch linux", but pkgng is
even faster..

Sergio