testing PKGNG

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Tue Sep 13 21:16:48 UTC 2011

Sergio wrote:

>I moved all my servers (about 40) to the pkgng (new generation)
>package/port
>system, and I can say that it is amazing... it is not yet finish, and
>have some
>minor "issues", but works very well, and is lightning fast..
>
>It is almost the same as "pacman"  (from Archlinux)..  you build a
>"repository"  and install packages from that repository. when you
>update the repository, the other servers can do an "upgrade"..
>you do not have to have the ports tree in each server, and
>you build the ports only on the master server....
>
>in the master server, there is a full gnome2 (with 842 dependencies)
>that install right on the shelf with only one command: pkg install
>gnome2
>now I have a full functional server runing gnome, libreoffice, inkscape
>hplip, cups printing, gdm...  in about 30 minutes from internet....

I am extremely interested by what you are saying here. Do you mean that
you can find somewhere precompiled packages that you can install in 30mn
or that you use packages compiled on a master server? Of course the
difference is that if you have just one machine in the basement instead
of a server farm, the point of view is not the same ...

By the way if you mention that pkgng shares something to some penguinist
system, beware it will be villified by some guardians of the orthodoxy
who are quite vocal. Anyways if it is indeed fast it will make a happy
difference with the present pkg-* tools.

--

Michel TALON