Thank you (for making the ports less boring).

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:27:28 UTC 2011

Sigh, okay.

Some time earlier during the day I was still planning to address few
interesting points (especially) Stephen raised, but by this time I'm
finally getting to it and reading through the rest of the emails, I can
see that this would only be a waste of time for everyone involved.

Reading now through the posts one after another stating how FreeBSD
ports/desktop experience was never more awesomestestest than it is now,
I just feel like participating in some kind of bizarro 1st April joke,
and the most coherent reply that comes to mind is:

Wat.

And again.

Wat. Did I just read.

I have no other words beyond that because I can't even seriously imagine
what those people stating how everything is perfectly fine now consider
to be a working, modern, 24/7 ready desktop workstation.

Though if I had to pick a random case again, it probably wouldn't be too
hard to make some wildly unsubstantiated guesses:

 ## From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de>
 ## Mailer: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.21)

Still I thank everyone for polite replies which were actually a welcome
change for this kind of threads, but as there is obviously something
fundamentally different between how I and rest of you guys perceive an
actually working FreeBSD (or any other, for the matter) workstation, I'm
going to let it go, this is not the kind fight one would be able to win
in any case.

For the next years, I'll be much better off with finishing my migration
to another system where the base OS will hardly ever be as good and
clean as FreeBSD, but the overall quality of 24/7 ready, stable, modern
desktop OS as a whole is by far too wide margin different from what I
gather is currently considered 'acceptable' here, in FreeBSD (ports)
circles. No offense meant, in any case.

m.

--
Michal Varga,