[RFC] New ports idea: github / gitorious / bitbucket direct support.

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat Sep 10 07:15:34 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 07:03:41AM -0700 I heard the voice of
perryh at pluto.rain.com, and lo! it spake thus:

> If I am understanding correctly, you seem to be saying that two
> distfiles autogenerated from the _same_ tag etc. in the _same_
> repository, and actually containing exactly the same code, can
> nevertheless generate different checksums!?  Wouldn't that be a bug
> in the DVCS?

There're all sorts of ways the same content could wind up with
different checksums.  The compression may happen slightly differently,
higher, or lower.  The files could wind up in the tarball in a
different order.  Timestamps could differ.  etc.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net