Why was rdiff.1 removed from net/librsync?

Klaus T. Aehlig aehlig at linta.de
Sat Sep 10 04:01:27 UTC 2011

Hallo,

I recently had a quick look at net/librsync and was puzzled that
it installs rdiff, but not the man page for rdiff. Looking at the
history, this has happened with the update to 0.9.6, submitted in
PR ports/55469 [1]. However, I fail to see the reason for removing
the man page. Leaving it in, i.e., applying the attached patch, the
port still builds and installs cleanly (see, e.g., my tinderboxlog[2]).
Moreover, portsearch -f man1/rdiff.1 didn't find me any other port
installing a rdiff man page.

So, can someone explain me, why the port deliberatly removes the man page?

Best regards,
Klaus

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=55469
[2] http://www.linta.de/~aehlig/download/uucp/tinderboxlogs/20110910-librsync-0.9.7_2.log