sysutils/cfs

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Sep 9 17:12:38 UTC 2011

Am 09.09.2011 14:38, schrieb Matt Burke:

> If someone deletes a package I use from ports, they are FORCING me to jump
> through an awful load of hoops to get what I want/need.

No. If people would please take note that the package does *not*
magically disappear from your computers because someone deletes it from
ports -- and usually it has been abandoned by the upstream years before
that happens.

> Let's look at the subject of this thread: What happens if I'm a CFS user
> and my hard disk dies? I install the latest release, pull my backups back
> in, and find that the FreeBSD people have decided they don't want me to be
> able to access my encrypted data any more. What do I do?

It's not FreeBSD people who've decided that, but the upstream vendor.
Don't use unsupported/unmaintained software for critical purposes, it's
as simple as that.

I refuse (as one who vouches for removal of dead ports) to be held as a
scapegoat for someone else's mistakes.

The whole discussion turns into wanting FreeBSD to jump in if someone
else abandons their software.  That won't work.

> Attempt to compile CFS from vendor source?

Possibly.

If not, see to backups and/or migration in due time.  We can't possibly
support software that is unsupported by the vendor, but that's what
you're asking for.

> Waste time trying to re-make a port?

In need, check it out from the Attic and beat it into shape.

> Install the ports tree from a FreeBSD6.1 CD I have lying around?

Quick answer.

> Just install some other OS?

As though that would fix anything about "upstream disappeared" issues.

> What exactly is the administrative overhead of having a FORBIDDEN, etc port
> in the tree if it compiles, works, and people are happy to use it
> regardless of its flaws?

That's been answered often enough. No need to reiterate the arguments.