sysutils/cfs

Chad Perrin code at apotheon.net
Wed Sep 7 15:44:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 09:37:07PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2011-Sep-07 01:35:54 -0600, Chad Perrin <code at apotheon.net> wrote:
> >
> > One thing I've seen come up that I definitely think would be a good
> > idea, though, is more accessible documentation of the CVS "attic",
> > though.  I had no idea such a thing existed for old FreeBSD ports
> > until fairly recently, and still don't know much about it.
>
> Any VCS worthy of the name will retain history for objects that no
> longer exist because you might want to look at the state as it was at
> some point in the past when that object still existed.  CVS stores the
> RCS masters for these deleted files is a subdirectory 'Attic' under
> the original directory.  The data is only accessible via CVS - either
> using a local repository or via CVSweb.  As an example, look at:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/audio/xmms/?hideattic=0

My understanding is that you are saying "attic" is just the standard term
for CVS history.  Is that the case, or do I misunderstand your point?

> > I would think that the porter's handbook, at least, should mention it
> > (perhaps with a brief explanation of why and how one might make use
> > of it).
>
> Again, it comes down to someone with the knowledge, motivation and time
> to write the content.

I'm aware of that.  I just wanted to support the notion so that someone
with the knowledge and time might be encouraged to have the motivation.

It seemed to get lost in the argumentative back-and-forth about other
details in the discussion, and I thought it would be a shame for this
matter to go ignored because of that.