sysutils/cfs

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sun Sep 4 20:32:59 UTC 2011

Hi,
Reference:

Chris Rees wrote:
> On 4 September 2011 17:56, Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > I've had to deprecate sysutils/cfs -- there's a confirmed issue with
> > failing locks [1] which has been open for two years with no fix.

No reason to suddenly panic then.

> > Please would someone consider stepping up to fix and maintain it? It
> > has two months to live.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > [1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/137378
>
> Whoops, also missed a CVE -- buffer overflows can cause a DoS.
> Expiration date altered to 1 month accordingly.

It is not responsible to threaten to remove ports without warning
between releases for non urgent reasons.

Better to deprecate such non urgent ports, & wait a while after next
release is rolled, to give release users a warning & some time
to volunteer (or if a firm using releases, perhaps time to allocate
a staff member if a port is important to them).

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.