suggestion for pkgdb from ports-mgmt/portupgrade: add more explanation

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 09:59:15 UTC 2011

Hello,

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Lars Eighner <portsuser at larseighner.com> wrote:
> I am a little hurt that my own authority does not suffice for both the New
> York Times Book Review and the Time Literary Supplement (that's in London,
> y'all) have remarked on my mastery of the English language.  But much more
> than that, I am appalled at the state of education in this country that you
> do not immediately recognize for yourself that my point is correct, once I
> have made it.

Congratulations on being recommended (applauded? I'm sorry, but I am a
non-native user of the English language).

> The correct word for what computer people call a dependency is 'requisite.'
> Perl is a requisite of my script.  My script is a dependency of perl.

If somebody decides to "fix" the language of these tools (or any tools
for that matter), they should keep in mind that many users are
non-native speakers of the English language.
Correct English is good, but but plain, simple and common English is better.
No uncommon words please.

</soapbox>
--
Regards,