suggestion for pkgdb from ports-mgmt/portupgrade: add more explanation

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sat Sep 3 07:11:18 UTC 2011

Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 09/02/2011 14:58, Lars Eighner wrote:
> > The main thing here, of course, is that ports uses "dependency"
> > in the exact opposite of its normal English sense (just as
> > twitter uses "following" in the exact opposite of its normal
> > English sense).
> >
> > In normal Engish 'X is a dependency of Y' means Y is necessary
> > for X (X depends on Y)
>
> I'm not sure why you believe this to be true. Can you give
> examples from non-technical English prose, and some dictionary
> definitions to back up your claim?

In normal English, I would not expect "dependency" to be used that
way at all.  Instead, I would expect something along the lines of
"a state of dependency exists between X and Y".  To specify the
direction of the relationship, I would expect "X depends on Y" or,
equivalently, "X is a dependent of Y" -- the latter being more often
seen as "X is Y's dependent".  Example:  in connection with income
taxes, "my son is my dependent".