How to deal with conflict between graphics/libGL and x11/nvidia-driver?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Sep 1 14:46:04 UTC 2011

Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
 > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the conflict
 > between the ports libGL and nvidia-driver?
 >
 > Both install their own version of /usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1.  Obviously,
 > if you're using the nvidia driver, you need nvidia's version and not
 > libGL's version, but many other ports also depend on libGL.
 >
 > I'm not quite sure how to deal with this so that any portupgrades, etc.
 > won't keep trampling over my nvidia GL libraries.  I was going to use
 > an ALT_PKGDEP for portupgrade, but the problem is that libGL also
 > installs some include files that nvidia-driver does not, so that's not
 > a sufficient solution.

Maybe it would be helpful to add libGL as a dependency to
the nvidia-driver port.  That means, when the libGL port
is updated, the nvidia-driver port will be rebuilt, too,
because it depends on the libGL port, which means that
the nvidia-driver's library will always override the one
installed by the libGL port.

Best regards
   Oliver

Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse.
        -- Larry Wall