KWin no longer compositing?

Lawrence Stewart lstewart at freebsd.org
Sat Oct 29 08:56:39 UTC 2011

On 10/29/11 19:47, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 07:24:52PM +1100, Lawrence Stewart wrote:
>>>
>>> Almost trivial in a sense.
>>> I've been using xorg-dev for quite a while and it works great (for me).
>>> Mesa is
>>> at 7.11 in those ports.
>>>
>>> http://trillian.chruetertee.ch/ports/wiki
>>>

>> I too no longer have compositing in KDE 4.7.2 where I used to with
>> 4.6.x. Is there a technical reason the newer MESA hasn't been merged
>> into mainline ports? Or is it purely a manpower thing?
>
> There is newer Mesa in xorg-dev. See the instructions at
> http://miwi.bsdcrew.de/2011/02/cft-xorg-7-5-miwi1-freebsd-edition/

Thanks for the pointer.

> There is a rat nest of the system dependencies and ddx/xorg server
> versions that makes the update really tricky. Until GEMified i915.ko
> is not committed to the src/, the Intel GPUs will not work, I believe.
> Also, it seems that Mesa 7.11 is the last release that will work
> for Radeon DRM that lacks TTM and execution support.

I use Radeon so I guess it's an interim update which will get things
going in the short term followed by hoping someone capable of doing the
TTM support for it comes forward. Do you have a feel for just how much
time would be involved in doing the required work to get the radeon
driver up to scratch? Does your work for the Intel GPUs lay some common
groundwork which will reduce the work required to update other drivers
like radeon? (It is clear I have no concept about how all the moving
parts fit together or what's involved in getting all drivers into shape
for "the future" i.e. KMS).

Cheers,
Lawrence