ports/162049: The Ports tree lacks a framework to restart services

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 27 16:15:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:15:00AM +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> As crees@ suggested, I'm sending an email to ports@ about this.
>
> What really bothers me when I use the FreeBSD Ports tree on one of my
> systems, is that the behaviour of dealing with services is quite
> inconsistent. As mentioned in the PR:
>
> - If I upgrade Apache, MySQL or PostgreSQL, it does not restart the
>   service, meaning it won't use the freshly installed daemon. This has
>   potential security issues.
>
> - If I upgrade Dovecot, it shuts it down during the upgrade, but won't
>   restart it. This means that I have to watch portmaster to complete and
>   must not forget to restart Dovecot afterwards.

imho the consistency should be done by removing the autostopping stuff and
auto-upgrading stuff.

we have no way to be sure it will be safe at all as we don't know from which
version of the previous software it has been upgraded, I can't imagine how much
data corruption it would lead to.

restarting the services is the goal of the system administrator it shouldn't
been automated at all.

I would hate that freebsd-update automatically reboot my box because it upgraded
the kernel, the same way I don't want packages to restart my services, it can
leads to more problem that it can solve.

Administrators should know what they do, the only thing that maybe can be done
is a recommandation to tell the upgrader that he should restart some services.

My 2cts,
Bapt