misc/rfc - the port / protocol option doesn't work anymore

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 26 17:02:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> Hello,
> It seems that the '-p' option of rfc doesn't work anymore:
> tingo at kg-v2$ uname -a
> FreeBSD kg-v2.kg4.no 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #4: Sat Jul 16
> 02:07:14 CEST 2011     root at kg-v2.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> amd64
> tingo at kg-v2$ rfc
> rfc v3.2.3: perl util to search the rfc-index and disply the pages with $viewer
> usage:  rfc #     search rfc-index for specified RFC and list topic
> 	rfc -d # /path/ (optional) dumps plain text RFC. default is current dir
> 	rfc -h    displays this stuff
> 	rfc -i    updates the /usr/local/etc/rfc-index via $viewer
> 	rfc -k    keyword; same as -s
> 	rfc -l #  spawns $viewer to the specified RFC
> 	rfc -m # user at remote.net [opt subject]; emails the RFC to given address
> 	rfc -n #/daemon local search for non-standard service/port nums
> 		  (BO, Netbus, etc)
> 	rfc -o #  Dumps RFC to STDOUT
> 	rfc -p    Connect to INI's assigned numbers for proto nums or
> 		  services/ports association
> 	rfc -r    go wild with your own regexp on rfc-index
> 	rfc -s "string" Search the index for specific string
> 	rfc -u #  sets the base URL to the number listed with -w
> 	rfc -w    lists the available webservers to display
> baseURL=http://www.ietf.org/rfc/
> comments/bugfixes mailto: rfc at blinky-lights.org
>
> tingo at kg-v2$ rfc -p port 23
> Making connection to server....
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
> tingo at kg-v2$ rfc -p port 22
> Making connection to server....
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
> tingo at kg-v2$ rfc -p ip 8
> Making connection to server....
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers
>
> Details:
> root at kg-v2# portversion -v | grep rfc
> rfc-3.2.3_1                 =  up-to-date with port

Thank you for the report.  I am not sure if this application is
maintained elsewhere, but I could not find any new updates from the
developer or anyone else that had forked it last night.

I did write a patch[1] against the port to use the data from the FTP
server instead of the HTTP server.  The HTTP server provides XML by
default and text if requested, however, the text is not the same format
that rfc expects.

Let me know if it works for you--it works for me :), and I will try to
update the port tonight with it.

Sean
   1. http://people.freebsd.org/~scf/rfc.patch
--