Can't edit kmenu after upgrading to kde 4.7.2

Mattia Rossi mrossi at swin.edu.au
Fri Oct 21 00:37:46 UTC 2011

If I try to edit the kmenu using kmenuedit I'm not able to save any
changes I made.

This means, I can click on save and it seems to do everything right, but
then the item doesn't show up in the menu.

The error kmenuedit gives is the following:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
   Resource id:  0x6407a30

My .local/share/applications and .config/menus folders are owned by me.
If also executed kbuildsycoca4, but no changes.

Interestingly enough though, the .desktop file for the created menu
entry can be found in .local/share/applications.

They entry can also be found in .config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu

The kickoff application launcher applet doesn't show them though.

It is to note that it puts the newly created entries into an <Include>
</Include> block which is followed by an </Exclude> without a previous
<Exclude>...

So I guess there's a bug in kmenuedit.

But even if I manually edit that .menu file, applications don't show up
in the kickoff launcher applet...

So something's seriously wrong...

Mat