Subversion 1.7 and usage of USE_SUBVERSION=16

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Oct 16 20:45:26 UTC 2011

Cited from UPDATING

======================
   (c) You use devel/subversion without FreeBSD patches and, maybe,
       some bindings. You want good old subversion 1.6.x, without
       patches again.
       Please, run:

   # cd /usr/ports/devel/subversion16 && make config
   <deselect first three options, described above, if you want it>
   # portupgrade -o devel/subversion16 devel/subversion
   # portupgrade -m "USE_SUBVERSION=16" -r devel/subversion16
   or
   # portmaster -o devel/subversion16 devel/subversion
   # portmaster -m "USE_SUBVERSION=16" -R -r subversion-1.6

I thought that any USE_* variables are used inside Makefiles only, not
for users need. Users can use WITH_* variables.
So I expect WITH_SUBVERSION_VER=16 (according to other variables in
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.*.mk files.

Or am I wrong and usage of USE_SUBVERSION outside Makefile is OK?

Miroslav Lachman