Testing Wacom usb tablet with webcamd svn (and mypaint)

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Tue Oct 11 16:58:59 UTC 2011

Hi!

 My dad likes to paint a bit so I got him a Wacom tablet as a present
(Bamboo Pen & Touch), and I thought I could help getting it working
on FreeBSD while I was at it...  Asked hps, who kindly prepared a
webcamd update that adds support:

	svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
		checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/ports
	cd ports/multimedia/webcamd && make all install clean

which I now tested with a preliminary x11-drivers/input-wacom xorg
driver update that I prepared:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/inputwacom.patch

I had to rebuild xorg-server without hal support because apparently
hal and thus the xserver picked up webcamd's /dev/input node for
the wacom which made my mouse misbehave (proper hal configs to
ignore webcamd's device node welcome, :) and I added this to
xorg.conf:

----snip---
Section "ServerLayout"
	InputDevice	"stylus"
        InputDevice	"eraser"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Driver		"wacom"
	Identifier	"stylus"
	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/event0"
	Option		"Type"		"stylus"
	Option		"USB"		"on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Driver		"wacom"
	Identifier	"eraser"
	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/event0"
	Option		"Type"		"eraser"
	Option		"USB"		"on"
EndSection
----snip---

 ..and that appears to have got graphics/mypaint working (which
btw needs x11-toolkits/py-gtk2 rebuilt with the NUMPY knob on),
with both the stylus and eraser of my (dad's) tablet.  (mypaint
ignores the pad device so I removed it from xorg.conf again, see
the wacom(4x) manpage and the input-wacom wiki.)

 Happy testing, and thanks to Hans!
	Juergen