More trouble with wine: won't build for amd64

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 3 08:07:43 UTC 2011

>From arrowdodger <6yearold at gmail.com>:

> These links may be helpful for you:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine
> http://www.mediafire.com/wine_fbsd64

Thanks for suggestions.

It looks like I essentially have to do a full installation of FreeBSD, now 9.0-BETA3, into /compat/i386 .

I was planning to install FreeBSD 9.0 i386 onto a 16 GB USB stick to be able to run on the older computer;
build ports using the new computer hard drive.

Then I wouldn't have to install the ports tree redundantly on the USB stick.

I would boot USB stick on the old computer using Plop (http://www.plop.at/).

The USB-stick installation ought to boot on the new computer, or I could mount its root directory to /compat/i386.

Building ports on a USB stick on the old computer would be prohibitively slow: 256 MB RAM, USB 1.1 on motherboard.

I don't really want to freebsd-update my FreeBSD 8.2 installation on the old computer for fear of running out of disk space; also portupgrading everything would be too cumbersome even on the hard drive, and then 256 MB RAM might not be enough.

Tom