environment variables for portupgrade: /etc/make.conf or /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 3 07:22:47 UTC 2011

> > But I still want to know where portupgrade gets environment
> > variables: /etc/make.conf, /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf (in Ruby?),
> > or other.

> > Tom

> Set them in your shell's environment:
>
> export PORTSDIR=/BETA1/usr/ports
> export PACKAGES=/usr/packages

> --
> Conrad J. Sabatier
> conrads at cox.net

Do I have to do this for every portupgrade command, or can I put these environment variable settings in a file, like
/etc/make.conf or /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf ?

I left /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf in the modified state, modified lines being

  ENV['PORTSDIR'] = '/BETA1/usr/ports'
  ENV['PACKAGES'] = '/usr/packages'
  # ENV['PORTSDIR'] ||= '/usr/ports'
  # ENV['PACKAGES'] ||= ENV['PORTSDIR'] + '/packages'

I suppose I could do a portupgrade with -n flag to see if my setup looks workable?

Tom