Instafix for FreeBSD ports brokenness on 10.0?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Sat Oct 1 21:36:46 UTC 2011

On 2011-Sep-30 17:10:20 -0400, Jim Trigg <jtrigg at spamcop.net> wrote:
>I have to admit that my reaction is not so much "Why won't you fix
>ports for 10.0" as "Why was 9.0 dropped out of CURRENT and 10.0
>introduced before 9.0 went STABLE?"

FreeBSD releases are from CVS/SVN branches, rather than the main
trunk.  Thus, before 9.0 can be released, the 9.x branch (RELENG_9)
must be created.  Once the 9.x branch has been created, the main trunk
needs to be renamed to distinguish it - hence 10-CURRENT.

And note that 9.0 isn't STABLE, it is BETA3, on it's way to
9.0-RELEASE.  Once 9.0-RELEASE has been released (or, possibly,
shortly before), the 9.x branch will become STABLE.

See http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/schedule.html for more
details (though the dates are wrong).

--
Peter Jeremy