Replacing procmail with maildrop

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sat Oct 1 00:46:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 05:55:24 +1000
andrew clarke <mail at ozzmosis.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that.  Looks like I'll be migrating across to maildrop in
> the next week or so :-)  Something you may want to add is that if you
> use Maildir format and have this in ~/.procmailrc:
>
> DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
>
> You need the equivalent for maildrop's ~/.mailfilter:
>
> DEFAULT="$HOME/Maildir/"
>
> Without this, messages that were not filtered (ie. fell through) will
> be appended to the mbox file, /var/mail/$USER.

On a similar note, if you use MH-style mail folders, something like
this:

DEFAULT="| rcvstore +inbox" (with a properly set PATH, of course)

Once I actually set about in earnest today to convert my .procmailrc
to .mailfilter format, I was amazed how easy it turned out to be.  My
one remaining little bug-a-boo is with maildrop's logging; it wants to
overwrite the log on each invocation instead of appending.  Still no
clue how to fix that.

But otherwise, the transition was really a breeze, and is working just
fine.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net