Strange issues while upgrading ports

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Nov 27 13:01:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:25:04 +0200
Kaya Saman articulated:

> On 11/27/2011 08:03 AM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>

> > When it has been this long, you might want to completely delete and
> > re-install all ports following the instructions in the portmaster
> > man page examples. This will assure that EVERYTHING is properly
> > cleaned up. No obsolete libraries, header files, data files, or
> > anything else. It's the 11 step process and please read the
> > relevant example in its entirety to make sure you don't waste too
> > much time. If your system has a very large number of ports
> > installed, consider using the -P option to use packages when they
> > are available.
> >
> > I do see some ports that might benefit from CPU specific
> > optimizations. If you feel that these are important, re-install
> > these after you finish the basic re-installation.
>
> I discovered in the UPDATING file that it claims the same thing:
>
> 20100409:
>    AFFECTS: users of lang/php5
>    AUTHOR: ale at FreeBSD.org
>
>    As of PHP 5.3, a few extensions were removed from or included into
> the core
>    PHP5 package.  Follow the steps below to update your installation.
>
>    1) Delete the following packages (if installed):
>
>       - php5-dbase
>       - php5-ncurses
>       - php5-pcre
>       - php5-spl
>       - php5-ming
>       - php5-mhash
>
>    2) Rebuild lang/php5 and all ports that depend on it.
>

> The only problem is how to go about it?
>
> I mean I have quite a few web based monitoring apps (cacti, zabbix,
> munin, etc) which all depend on PHP5 + apache22 so am not really sure
> if running:
>
> make deinstall on each port is wise.... especially since I don't want
> the config files do be deleted (even though backed up) or backend
> database information to be get lost either.

That was quite a while ago; however, I remember simply deinstalling
each of those ports. Then after updating the ports tree I ran
"portmanager -u -l -y -p" to update and rebuild the ports as required.
It works like a charm. I know others recommend "portupgrade" and I use
that from time to time also but it just seems to fail to update all
required ports sometimes in cases like this. Personally, "portmaster"
always seems to get my ass in a sling when I have attempted to use it
so I leave it alone. Obviously, YMMV.

BTW, if you use "portmanager" you will find a log file
"/var/log/portmanager.log" that will give you a complete list of what
it did if you should experience any problems..

--
Jerry ♔