Strange issues while upgrading ports

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 13:42:47 UTC 2011

On 11/26/2011 10:56 AM, Edward wrote:
> On 11/25/11 10:14 PM, Kaya Saman wrote:
>> Would you also advise to upgrade my BSD 'release'?
>>
> The FreeBSD Handbook have a section covering it :
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
>
> My personal experience :
> http://scratching.psybermonkey.net/2009/07/freebsd-how-to-upgrade-kernel-or-base.html
>
> *** disclosure, that's my blog.

Thank you - nice blog! :-)

Also pretty much the approach I am taking, just nice to see that the
approach is valid and already tested and tried by more experienced people.

>> If so I would upgrade to 8.2 as stated in a previous posting but since
>> I'm running jails and many services aggregated into one machine, what's
>> the best way to proceed?
>>
>> I'm currently just backing up /etc, /var, /usr/shared, /usr/local/etc,
>> /usr/local/var, and /usr/local/shared.
>>
> Don't forget /usr/jails, that's where your jails live.

Actually all my jails are custom. I have them in /mnt/zfs/jail as I run
them from my ZFS mount. However, I guess not to loose the information
residing in them I probably should back them up too.

>> Will the freebsd-upgrade tool wipe all my config files? Or will the
>> upgrade be seamless?
> You might wanna try freebsd-update on a box with customize config files
> (e.g. /etc/hosts, /etc/ssh/sshd_config or blah blah blah) to have a feel
> on how mergemaster works on merging config files. It took me a few
> upgrade tries to get familiar with it. In general, if you've backup the
> configs in /etc&  /usr/local/etc, you can always restore the working
> copy back and your services shouldn't fail :)

Unfortunately I don't have another box to test on unless I use a VM in
VirtualBox on my notebook. Luckily I have backups now of all config file
directories including /usr/share and /usr/local/share so I hope that I
won't get in to deep-stuk if everything goes khabluey!

It will just take ages as I kinda run the system as a sort of mainframe
with 7 jails and many, many services.