Strange issues while upgrading ports

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 14:14:11 UTC 2011

On 11/25/2011 04:05 PM, Daniel Nebdal wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Kaya Saman<kayasaman at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> He used portsnap, which does the same thing.
>>> By the way: "portsnap fetch extract update" is pointless: "extract"
>>> gives you a clean copy of the last fetched version, and  "update"
>>> extracts only what has changed since the last extract or update. Use
>>> "portsnap fetch extract" once, then "portsnap fetch update" from then
>>> on. (Or replace "fetch" with "cron" if you're doing this automatically
>>> - it adds a random delay to not overload the servers at popular times
>>> of the day.)
>>>
>> Thanks for the tip!
>>
>> It's my first time updating/upgrading a FreeBSD system so any 'experienced'
>> advice is always valid and welcome :-)
>>
> Ah, right. :)
> The nice thing with "update" is that it's much faster than "extract" -
> as I'm sure you'll notice.

Would you also advise to upgrade my BSD 'release'?

If so I would upgrade to 8.2 as stated in a previous posting but since
I'm running jails and many services aggregated into one machine, what's
the best way to proceed?

I'm currently just backing up /etc, /var, /usr/shared, /usr/local/etc,
/usr/local/var, and /usr/local/shared.

Will the freebsd-upgrade tool wipe all my config files? Or will the
upgrade be seamless?