x11-wm/olvwm

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Tue May 24 17:09:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:53 PM,  <fredb at getnet.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have updated ports and when reinstalling I found x11-wm/olvwm which I was
> using was gone from the ports tree.  Why?

I noticed that too, and was bit by that change as well.
Since I love the olvwm look and feel, I'm sad to see
it go from the FreeBSD ports collection.

% grep olvwm /usr/ports/MOVED
x11-wm/olvwm||2011-05-01|Has expired: Upstream disapear and distfile
is no more available

I think we could resurrect this port, using the last available
distfile, which fortunately is still with us:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/olvwm4.tar.Z

There are also two patches there:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/olvwm4.Patch01.Z
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/olvwm4.Patch02.Z

Unfortunately, I don't know where the old port files have
gone. We *REALLY* should consider moving dead ports to
a separate subdirectory hierarchy (such as /usr/ports/.deadports
or some such), so people interested in resurrecting old ports
could have a look. Just letting then disappear silently is rude
und unnecessary, but that's just IMHO.

> Best regards,
> Fred

Regards,