Utmpx usage

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Mon May 23 20:21:18 UTC 2011

On 23 May 2011 09:50, Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl> wrote:
> * Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com>, 20110523 10:40:
>> I've been perusing the linux manpage for utmp, and noticed that login and
>> getty deal with utmp for logins, and It's only init's job to deal with
>> logouts. Since runit is an init replacement, this makes perfect sense.
>
> Yeah; it probably acts as a safety belt for misbehaving tools that
> forget to write logout records. On FreeBSD logout records are written by
> pam_lastlog(8), making that logic in init(8) superfluous.
>
> You could consider calling getutxline() in a loop to obtain the ut_ids
> for a specific TTY.

Well, since I'm not going to maintain a fork of this, I'm going to
remove the code.

The code in our init for the same function:

static void
clear_session_logs(session_t *sp __unused)
{

	/*
	 * XXX: Use getutxline() and call pututxline() for each entry.
	 * Is this safe to do this here?  Is it really required anyway?
	 */
}

so I think I'll blank it!

Thanks, and sorry for taking us down a long and pointless avenue.

Chris