ports/155759: Please upgrade devel/tcl-neo for newer Berkeley DB release

Matthias Andree mandree at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 23 10:47:06 UTC 2011

Am 23.05.2011 04:54, schrieb Mikhail T.:
> For the (more explicit) record, objects on ports@ were loud and
> substantiated: the death of databases/db2 was uncalled for, in my
> opinion -- the port was not broken. Its gratuitous removal resulted in
> the death of these two ports, which were also not broken before...

Mikhail,

In your particular case, you as the maintainer remained silent on the
relevant PR although Erwin and I have pointed you to it on March 21st
and your ports were broken since the db2 removal in April.  Furthermore,
you stated that you as the maintainer won't touch the software just
because it is old.  It was broken since the db2 removal in April, still
you chose not to do anything technical.  So, you proved that the port
wasn't maintained properly, and that justified its removal.

And even though we don't need another reason, I'll provide you with one:

Also note the quote from tcl-neo's pkg-descr:

"The port is built without the LDAP support. Our port of OpenLDAP2
uses DB3, and linking both DB2 and DB3 into the same executable is
too ugly. Some day, Neo will be updated to use DB3, and we will all
rejoice."

A decade on, OpenLDAP2 wants BerkeleyDB 4.6, but Neo hasn't followed
suit.  Conclusion: neowebscript is not only unmaintained in ports, but
also unmaintained upstream.

I do concur with Wesley Shields and Eitan Adler that we don't need
unmaintained software in the ports tree, and certainly not for network
server packages.  According to established and documented practice, the
ports are now gone.  Good riddance.

Best regards,
Matthias