Porting gdbserver from Linux to FreeBSD 8.1

John Schumacher schumjs at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:05:49 UTC 2011

Hello all,
I noticed that gdbserver isn't fully supported by FreeBSD, which makes it
difficult for it to be remotely debugged. Because FreeBSD is commonly used
in embedded systems, I could imagine that a gdbserver ported over to FreeBSD
would have some use.
Of course, there are some issues that would prevent easy code migration.
Specifically, one of the issues with FreeBSD's gdbserver, that I feel isn't
handled well, is the lack of thread awareness of the gdbserver. It looks
like linux' flavor of gdbserver may be able to handle multithreading, but it
doesn't seem to be very obvious.

Has anyone ever tried porting over the linux version of gdbserver to
FreeBSD? And if not, what other obvious changes would have to be made?

Thanks
--
John Schumacher
University of Minnesota (TC)