proper use of bsd.port.options.mk

Shaun Amott shaun at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 16 21:31:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 01:32:18PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 13:17, Chris Rees wrote:
> > You can't define USE_JAVA_after_  bsd.port.pre.mk and expect JAVA_PORT
> > to be defined...
>
> What I'm looking for is an actual example of something that doesn't work
> for the common case. Where "actual" includes a path to a port that I can
> test.
>
> And I'm not trying to be a pita here, I have two goals; one is to update
> my ports to use bsd.port.options.mk, and the other is to get the
> documentation updated. I don't want to do either until we are all sure
> that we know the facts accurately.

The documentation in bsd.port.options.mk is correct (although perhaps
not entirely clear).

net-mgmt/ettercap contains an example of the problem this file was
supposed to address: the port has to manually include bsd.openssl.mk in
order to access $OPENSSLBASE, rather than using the canonical
$USE_OPENSSL variable.

--
Shaun Amott // PGP: 0x6B387A9A
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin