Call for Testers: VirtualBox 4.0.6 (PBIs now available)

Ryan Stone rysto32 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 22:47:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Ryan Stone <rysto32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Sorry for the noise earlier about the PBIs not working under PC-BSD;
> I'm not sure how I missed that had been already reported).
>
> I tried the new amd64 PBI and I am able to successfully start VMs now.
>  I had one VM(running some relatively recent version of amd64 HEAD)
> boot up fine, but a second one (also running amd64 HEAD, but maybe a
> different svn revision) gets a Guru Meditation during startup.  I'm
> not sure what is causing the crash.  In their original configurations
> the working VM booted off of an emulated IDE disk while the broken VM
> booted of an emulated SATA disk, however I just tried changing the
> SATA disk to instead be an IDE disk and it doesn't seems to have
> resolved the problem.
>
> I'm not getting a corefile for the crash(or I'm unable to find it).  I
> do have kern.sugid_coredump=1 and I'm running the PBI.  Is this
> expected for a Guru Meditation, or should it be putting a core
> somewhere?  I've put the VBox.log for the most recent crash here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rstone/vbox-4.0.6/VBox.log
>
> This seems to be easy to reproduce so let me know if there's any more
> information that I can gather.
>

> Also, the working VM was emulating uniprocessor machine.  I tried
> adding a second CPU and that VM started crashing, too.  I tried
> changing the broken VM to have only one core but it still crashes.
> I'm not sure if it's related to the first crash or not.

To follow up, I tried playing around with the "working" VM
configuration.  I can only make it fail if I emulate a machine with
multiple processors and I leave SMP enabled in the kernel.  If I
either emulate a uniprocessor machine or disable SMP via tunable, the
VM is able to boot without crashing.

To summarize, I believe that I am running into two separate issues
with VirtualBox 4.0.6:
- Booting off of an emulated SATA drive leads to crashes during boot:
http://people.freebsd.org/~rstone/vbox-4.0.6/VBox.log (Guru Meditation
-4001 (VERR_VMX_INVALID_VMCS_PTR)
)
- Booting a VM with multiple virtual processors on a kernel with SMP
enabled crashes during boot:
http://people.freebsd.org/~rstone/vbox-4.0.6/VBox-SMP.log (Guru
Meditation -4002 (VERR_VMX_INVALID_VMXON_PTR))