Deprecation campaign

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Mon May 2 14:43:03 UTC 2011

--On May 1, 2011 7:34:06 AM -0400 Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 May 2011 09:40:21 +0100
> Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> articulated:
>
>> On 1 May 2011 08:31, "mato" <gamato at users.sf.net> wrote:
>> > There are usually many users but only a few are ready to become
>> maintainers (for whatever reasons).  So no one stepping up does not
>> really mean no one uses a port.  But ok, I'll try to see what I can
>> do for ports I might care about..
>> >

>> They could always pay someone.
>
> You do realize that many here would consider that blasphemy. While it
> might be advantageous, like so many other capitalistic concepts, it
> is not likely to get a foothold in this galère.

I think there was a greater underlying point.  FreeBSD is a volunteer
project.  Lots of people would like to have all sorts of functionality that
isn't presently available or save things that aren't maintained.  Yet few
want to volunteer to do the work.  (In my experience that is normal human
nature.)  So I took Chris' response to mean, step up and take
responsibility if you don't want it to go away.

I became a port maintainer because there were things I needed that weren't
available.  Rather than asking someone else to do it, I took on the
responsibility myself.  That's how it's *supposed* to work.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst