expiration of net/skype ?!

mato gamato at users.sf.net
Sun May 1 07:31:03 UTC 2011

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2011-Apr-26 01:47:30 +0200, martinko<gamato at users.sf.net>  wrote:
>
>> So what is this deprecation and expiration of net/skype port please ??
>>
> Whilst the Skype port still works, the version of Skype referenced by
> the port is no longer available and later versions of Skype do not
> (currently) work on FreeBSD.  My reading of the Skype license suggests
> that the FreeBSD Project cannot host the distfile without an agreement
> with Skype.  This means that someone who doesn't currently have the
> Skype distfile cannot install the Skype port.
>
> I believe work is underway to support the currently available version
> of Skype.

Ok, from my understanding it wouldn't be the first time a port distfile
is not (easily) available yet the port itself works if one can get the
distfile.  And it's very easy to search successfully the interwebs for
this particular distfile.  In such a case I see no reason to remove the
port if it works (under condition one gets the distfile).  I myself have
it (and I even host it privately).  And reading mailing lists reveals
there are many people using the port.

In regards to new Skype version -- it's not available yet and from what
I know it needs PulseAudio which may be a drawback for many.  I
personally would prefer this classic OSS version.

So pls do not deprecate and surely do not remove the port!

Thanks,

Martin