Port configuracion and compilation

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre egoitz at ramattack.net
Wed Mar 30 20:15:51 UTC 2011

Hello all,

One little question. I have package collections of packages made (packages created by compiling ports and later pkg_create -Rb) for my freebsd provisioned releases with the servers I need to provision (mail, web, etc)...

now imagine, someone in some of those provisioned servers (with provisioned packages, installed with a pkg_add * from the directory where are packages provisioned downloaded from one of my servers) one sysadmin goes to compile another port (I install in provisioned servers the ports that come with the installed release which are the same ports as which with I make the provisioned packages) which has as dependency an installed package... for example don't know... let's imagine Postfix has libiconv or any as dependency... when you do from /usr/ports/mail/postfix a make config-recursive... although libiconv is installed it asks you for compilation options... what happens if the user is compiling postfix, sets for example libiconv options as default (with default options) and if the package previously compiled by me for libiconv has not the default options? imagine has less options (features) for example... could this break something??. I mean when Postfix (or whatever package with installed dependencies) is compiled, the freebsd ports system looks for something at /var/db/ports/*/OPTIONS or similar?? or ports are just compiled as the given options to them and although you specify anything for installed dependencies in the ncurses menu for configuring the dependency port (launched by config-recursive) it just compiles the port you are compiling (so basically what you want to install, the software is not at the moment on the machine) and with the options specified for the compiling port ignoring how dependecies are in /var/db/ports/*/OPTIONS?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Good bye.