ports/graphics/netpbm out of date

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Wed Mar 30 05:45:11 UTC 2011

On 2011-Mar-29 13:51:21 +0200, Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
>Both graphics/netpbm and graphics/netpbm-devel are *WAY*
>out of date (5 to 6 years).

I don't understand you.  In my experience, the netpbm ports have
always been updated fairly regularly.  The ports currently have:
STABLE_PORTVERSION=     10.26.64
DEVEL_PORTVERSION=      10.35.80

10.26.64 is the last of the 10.26 series and was released
almost exactly 18 months ago.

10.35.80 is the current "stable" version and was released
about 5 weeks ago.  The port was updated the day following
the release.

>What's making things is worse is the fact that the netpbm
>ports don't include any documentation.  Instead they refer
>to the online documentation which is way ahead of the
>state of the FreeBSD port, as explained above.

I agree this is annoying and don't understand the rationale behind the
way netpbm documentation is handled but that is not the FreeBSD
maintainer's fault.

>Is anybody working on updating the netpbm ports?  Is there
>any problem with it that I'm not aware of?

A quick check would have identified the maintainer (now Cc'd).

--
Peter Jeremy