Failed building kdebase-workspace-4.5.5_1 cannot find the library liblzma.la

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 29 17:52:13 UTC 2011

On Mar 28, 2011, at 18:55 , Troy wrote:
> Anytime I've ever upgraded the system, I built the kernel and the world.   I have 419 .la files in /usr/local/lib. I don't think I want to try that idea.  Are you saying if I rebuilt the kernel/world it would not fix this properly?

Rebuilding src/ will have absolutely no effect, since it's not the problem.

Somewhere along the lines (by virtue of the reference to the lzma.la file), archivers/xz was installed on the system.  Then src/ was upgraded to a point in time where xz was in the base system, rendering the port as IGNORE.

At a rough guess, a ports upgrade after that fact found the now-defunct archivers/xz and most likely removed it WITHOUT also rebuilding all ports that depend on liblzma.so -- resulting in a system where some ports are using the src/ library, some are _perhaps_ using the old one from the port (check /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg -- it may be in there), but worse, a number of installed ports have references to liblzma.la in their own .la files.

What you could try doing is grepping for liblzma.la in all of those .la files, making a note of which ones are affected, then use pkg_info -W <name-of-file> to determine which ports they belong to and forcibly rebuild them.

-aDe