[CFT] mplayer with multithreaded decoding

Thomas Zander thomas.e.zander at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:53:28 UTC 2011

Hi,

since I am in the middle of updating the mplayer and mencoder ports
anyway, we might as well include the latest feature that has found its
way upstream. For a few days now, the mplayer development snapshots
are able to take advantage of multithreaded ffmpeg decoding (h264 and
a few others).
Therefore I have updated the experimental tarballs to today's svn
snapshot. You can find the port tarballs here:
http://www.rrr.de/~riggs/mplayer/m20110329.tar.bz2

You can enable the multithreaded decoder by running run mplayer
-lavdopts threads=N file (N being the number of desired decoder
threads). Note that this does not apply to all stages of the playback
pipeline, e.g., if playback is dropping frames due to excessive
postprocessing options, this won't necessarily solve the problem.

Have fun
Riggs